Faculty Member of Computer Engineering Department
0090 414 318 3000 (Ext: 1378)
Dr. Akaslan earned his BSc degree in Electricity from Marmara University in 2006, his MA degree in Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and Education from the University of Leeds in 2009 and his PhD degree in Computing from the University of Leicester in 2014. Since then, for the last 2 years, he has constantly been working in the Department of Computer Engineering as a faculty member in the Harran University. Akaslan is an expert in the planning and management of e-learning systems focussing in particular on the areas of online and blended learning.
He has been involved as a researcher in projects funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council and Arts and Humanities Research Council in UK. For over two years, he has been consulting a Scientific Research Project (BAP) funded by Harran University in Turkey on natural language processing (NLP) regarding the impacts of foreign originated terms on the Turkic languages.
Dr. AKASLAN teaches many modules such as electrical and logic circuits, microcontrollers, numerical analysis, database management systems, analog communication, algorithm & programming and computer-aided engineering math in undergraduate and parallel computing & architecture, advanced numerical analysis, web development and programming, image processing, statistics and natural language processing in graduate programs in Turkish and English at Harran and Hasan Kalyoncu University.
The second edition of his book “Technical Programming in MATLAB” was published in 2015 and also sponsored by the Mathworks Company and the first edition of his book “A Model for Personalized Learning on the Internet by Lambert Academic Publishing in 2010”. His areas of expertise can be counted as e-Learning & Readiness, MATLAB & Simulink, Arduino Uno & Shields, Coding & Programming, ICTs, Digital Games, Image & Signal Processing, Serial & Parallel Programming and NLP. Recently, he has been consulting a project regarding the impacts of using robots in primary and nursery education with mats with the purpose of teaching English and Coding.
1. Research Interests
- Open and Distance Education
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Natural Language Processing
- Computer and Instructional Technologies
- Smart Cities
- Virtual Reality
2. Recent publications:
- Dursun Akaslan & Ümit Kul (2017). Are Pre-service Teachers Ready for E-learning? A Case of Artvin Coruh University, 12(11), pp. 1-20, Journal of Turkish Studies.
- Dursun Akaslan, Mehmet Akif Nacar & Mehmet Umut Salur (‘2017). “Model Recommendations for the Authorisation of User Actions in High Performance Computing Clusters“, 2(1), pp.1-14, Middle East Journal of Technic.
- Dursun Akaslan (2017), “The Augmentation of Internet of Things with Sensors and Actuators using Arduino through I2C and SPI Protocols”, 1th International Conference on Communication, Computing and Digital Systems, 8-9 March 2017, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Dursun Akaslan, Sezai Taşkın & Oğuz Yüksel (2017), The Extensible Analogy for Supporting the Aspects of Smart Cities: Demander and Supplier, 5th International Istanbul Smart Grid and Cities Congress and Fair (ICSG), 20-21 April 2017, Istanbul, Turkey
- Dursun Akaslan (2017), The Enhancement of Touristic Supply Potential using Virtual Reality, 4. International Regional Development Conference, 21-23 Sep 2017, Tunceli, Turkey.
- Dursun Akaslan (2017), An Analogy for Supporting the Aspects of Smart Cities, Intelligent Infrastructures for Sustainable and Resilient Future Energy Systems, 227 May 2017, Istanbul, Turkey
- Mehmet Akif Nacar, Dursun Akaslan, İbrahim Berkan Aydilek & others (2017). Understanding the Impact of Linear, Quadratic and Exponential Functions on High-Performance Computing Clusters using Serial and Parallel Computation, “International Cconference on Mathematics and Mathematics Education (ICMME), 11-13 May 2017, Şanlıurfa, Turkey.
- Salih Birişçi, Ümit Kul, Zeki Aksu, Dursun Akaslan & Sedef Çelik (2017)., A Scale Development Study to Determine Educational Web 2.0 Practical Content Development Self-Efficacy Belief, “11th International Computer & Instructional Technologies Symposium (ICITS)”, 24-26 May 2017, Malatya, Turkey
- Ferit Gök. & Dursun Akaslan (2017). An Investigation on Factors affecting the Preparation of Weekly Course Schedule, “11th International Computer & Instructional Technologies Symposium (ICITS)”, 24-26 May 2017, Malatya, Turkey
- Ferit Gök. & Dursun Akaslan (2017). Haftalık Ders Programının Hazırlanması ve Yürütülmesi için Açık Kaynak Kodlu Uygulama, “11th International Computer & Instructional Technologies Symposium (ICITS)”, 24-26 May 2017, Malatya, Turkey.
- Mustafa Alpsülün, Dursun Akaslan, İ. Berkan Aydilek & M. Emin Tenekeci (2017), Göz İzleme Teknikleri ile Bireysel Farklılıkları Olan Grupların Bilgisayar Ortamında Gösterdikleri Davranışlarının İncelenmesi, “11th International Computer & Instructional Technologies Symposium (ICITS)”, 24-26 May 2017, Malatya, Turkey
- Mustafa Alpsülün, Dursun Akaslan, İ. Berkan Aydilek & M. Emin Tenekeci (2017), Göz İzleme Yöntemleri ile Dijital Materyallerin Öğrenciler Üzerindeki Etkisi, “11th International Computer & Instructional Technologies Symposium (ICITS), 24-26 May 2017, Malatya, Turkey
3. Running Research Projects
- Dursun Akaslan, Mustafa Alpsülün ve İbrahim Berkan Aydilek, “Göz İzleme Yöntemleri ile Dijital Materyallerin Öğrenciler Üzerindeki Etkisi“, Yüksek Lisans Tez Projesi, Başlangıç: 28-04-2017 Bitiş: 28-10-2017, Bütçe: 4000,00 TL.
- İbrahim Berkan Aydilek, Söngül Akdağ & Dursun Akaslan, “Unity3d ile Yapılmış 3 Boyutlu Oyunlar Vasıtasıyla Öğrenmenin Kolaylaştırılması“, Lisans Tez Projesi, Başlangıç: 27-07-2017, Bitiş: 27-07-2018, Bütçe: 2500,00 TL.
- Abdülkadir Gümüşçü, Mehmet Emin Tenekeci & Dursun Akaslan, “Yürüyüş Analizi ile Kişi Tanıma“, Münferit Proje, Başlangıç: 05-05-2017, Bitiş: 05-03-2018, Bütçe: 28000,00 TL.SaffeT Erdoğan, Mehmet Ali Çullu, Fred Barış Ernst, Mehmet Yılmaz, Recep Gündoğan, Abdülkadir Memduhoğlu, Tuba Rastgeldi Doğan, Halil İbrahim Şenol ve Dursun Akaslan, “Harran Üniversitesi Kampüs ALanı 3 Boyutlu Master Planının Geotasarım ilkeleri Kapsamında Oluşturulması”, Entegre Proje, Başlangıç: 24-02-2017, Bitiş: 24-08-2018, Bütçe: 241868,78 TL
- Mehmet Akif Nacar, İbrahim Berkan Aydilek, Dursun Akaslan, Fatma Didem Öğretmen, Mehmet Fatih Tüysüz ve Abdulkerim Enes,”Harran Üniversitesi Yüksek Başarımlı Hesaplama Merkezinin sürdürülebilirliği ve yaygınlaştırılmasının sağlanması”, Entegre Proje, Başlangıç: 23-12-2106, Bitiş: 23-12-2019, bÜTÇE: 230000,00 TL.
- Fred Barış Ernst, Saffet Edoğan, Gencay Sarıışık, ve Dursun Akaslan, “Strengthening of research and training capabilities for Virtual Reality applications in the private and governmental sector“, Erasmus Projesi, Başlangıç: 16-08-2017, Bitiş: 16-08-219, Bütçe: 79000 EURO.
4. Past Research Projects
- Dursun Akaslan, Mehmet Emin Tenekeci, Abdülkadir Gümüşçü, Mehmet Umut Salur & İbrahim Berkan Aydilek, “Yabancı Dillerin Etkisinin Azaltılması için İlişkisel Veritabanı Tasarımı“, Munferit Proje, Başlangıç: 03-02-2015, Bitiş: 09-12-2016, Bütçe: 20000,00 TL
- Phillip Graham Lindley, Jackie Hall, Rebecca Constabel, Oliver Bone, Ross Parry, Nicola Beddall-Hill, Melissa Hawker, Adair Richards, Effie Lai-Chong Law, Dursun Akaslan, Steven Gunn, George Fraser, Lisa Ford, Piyal Samara-Ratna, Kirsten Yardley, Nishad & Karim, “Representing Re Formation Reconstructing Renaissance Monuments“, AHRC Projesi, Başlangıç: 01-10-2010, Bitiş: 31-12-2013, Bütçe: 664551 EURO
- B. Ulanicki, J. Boxall, L. E. Varga, Ruzanna Chitchyan, & Dursun Akaslan (University of Leicester), “All in One Feasibility Analysis of Supplying All Services Through One Utility Product“, AHRC Projesi, Başlangıç: 01-10-2011, Bitiş: 30-06-2013, Bütçe: 437858 EURO
5. Msc Supervision
- Mustafa Alpsülün, Göz İzleme Yöntemleri ile Dijital Materyallerin Öğrenciler Üzerindeki Etkisi, Harran University, Faculty of Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Department, Sanliurfa, Turkey
6. Reviewer for Conferences and Journals
- 2017, Sindh University Research Journal, 1 Contribution
- 2017, The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 1 Contribution
- 2016, Harran University Journal of Engineering, 1 Contribution
- 2016, Turkish Journal of Electrical and Computer Sciences, 2 Contribution
- 2015, Africa Education Review, 1 Contribution
- 2015, International Journal on Disability and Human Development, 1 Contribution
- 2014, Innovations 2014: World Innovations in Engineering Education and Research , 1 Contribution
- 2013, Innovations 2014: World Innovations in Engineering Education and Research , 1 Contribution
- 2012, Innovations 2014: World Innovations in Engineering Education and Research, 1 Contribution
- The International Cyber Security Workshop and Certificate Program, 24-26 Kasım 2016, Istanbul Gelisim University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Harran Üniversitesi Yüksek Başarımlı Hesaplama Merkezi (Harran HPC) Kapasite Geliştirme Eğitimi, 16-18 Temmuz 2017, Harran Üniversitesi, Şanlıurfa, Turkey
- Yenilikçi ve Uygulanabilir Projeler Hazırlama ve Sürdürülebilir Ar-Ge Farkındalığı, 23-27 May 2016, Harran Üniversitesi, Şanlıurfa, Turkey